Monday, September 17, 2012

$45 Grocery List for the Food Stamp/Snap Challenge Day 1

Dairy
Gallon of Whole Milk                                    $2.49
2 lbs Margerine                                              $1.40     ( .69 a piece)
2  Doz medium eggs                                      $2.00


Meats
2.5 lb bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts              $5.98

Breads
1 loaf white bread                                                           $1.25  ( would of been wheat w/o corn syrup if had $$)



Cooking/Canned
5 lb bag of white flour                                                  $1.94  ( would of been whole wheat if had $$)
5 lb white Sugar                                                           $ 2.98
5 lb Corn Meal                                                            $2.98
box saltine crackers                                                     $1.68
2 cans bean sprouts                                                      $2.44
Coconut milk  (store brand generic)                          $ 1.48
2lb bag Black Beans                                                   $2.48
Brown Rice                                                               $1.38
Small can Coffee                                                      $1.88


Cereals
Large tin of Old Fashioned oats                                 $2.48

Produce

1 large tuber Ginger Root    .57 lb                              $1.44         $2.48 a pound
4 lemons                                                                     $2.16          .54 a piece
2 Pineapples                                                               $4.40           $2.20 a piece
3# yellow onions                                                       $1.88
Carrots                                                                      $1.24


NOTES: This list ended up costing me $45 rather than the $30 I really could fit in so it is $15 over budget for the week but hey really I think it is a great list to feed 5 people for a week! Lets see how it goes!

This is the items I will be working off of for this week though with two exceptions.

I have a whole gallon of molasses I bought months ago and will use that as my one item I had on stock. Even if you figure the cost of that in at the $9.98 I paid for the whole gallon would bring me to a $55 for the week which is still less than the $140 I was allowed for this challenge! NOT BAD

Also I have a jar of yeast on hand I will be using 

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your list. Do you have an Aldi's nearby? Their oats are cheaper. Also, have you tried sprouting your own beans? Finally, understanding that costs vary nationally, I find your beans to be high, easily found for $1/lb dried here. Have you compared prices in stores?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes prices in my area are on the high side, these are Walmart prices the othe local stores are all twice as HIGH! We live in a really small rural area choices are very minimal without driving 40 miles away which is not an option. We pay cheaper rent than most for the trade off of slightly higher food prices.

      No Aldis, Sams Club. Costco or salvage stores! You should see the outragous price for simple spices! YOU would think they are made of Gold! LOL

      Unfortuantly Walmarts is our cheapest choice here and I watch others farther away for sales usuallyto get Walmarts to price match the lower price

      Delete
  2. Pretty crazy the basic things you need to cut to save money, eh? Like whole wheat bread and flour!? It's terrible you have to pay more to eat healthier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Mindy...yeah I hate making those choices sometimes especially the more I learn about GMO and processed foods. But sometimes that is the choices when white flour is 1.29 a bag and whole wheat flour is 3.50 a bag. Same as bread pretty much.

      It can be a choice between 2 evils some months.

      Delete
  3. Hi Carrie,
    Any chance you'll post the meals you come up with with these supplies? I'd be interested to hear what you prepare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I plan on posting the meals, it is hard for me to do that ahead of time, because I an unusual in the fact I don't menu plan, I come up with the things to make on a day to day basis depending on what I have and the mood I am in for food :) But yes will be making regular posts on what I came up with!

      Delete