Monday, September 23, 2013

Blogs from Those on Low Income

I was asked yesterday about whether I knew of other blogs out there other than mine here, from people living on low income and doing okay. So I checked the few I knew about and found they had either taken a turn for the worse and removed their blogs or simply quit writing. There never was many however this left me in surprise with mine being pretty much the only one I am aware of putting me into a financial writing league all my own.

There are tons of financial blogs out there sure, even ones living on less, minimalists, those making a lot of money but living on little. There are those who make good money but are frugal in order to pay off high debts. There are those making awesome money that don't believe in being frugal, but rather making more money.  Several blogs about living pay check to pay check which is a tad over 75% of Americans now so no surprise there.

When I discovered the few I knew no longer existed, I went on a search and still really turned up nothing. I seem to be the only one ( although I know this can not be true) blogging about living as a family on a very low income doing okay, maybe not great, but certainly okay!

There could be several reasons for this:

A) Most on our wages are NOT doing okay and have not learned how to live within the tight constraints of this type of income.

B.) A sense of Shame, many have a feeling of shame when it comes to poverty wages and who would want to write about something they feel ashamed about? This is a sad truth for many, although there is NO shame in poverty wages, many can not help but feel that way.... I blame in part for how the politicians have made society believe about us, and the whole illusion of the American Dream that makes many always feel a lack in their life if they are not obtaining that dream.

C.) They  do not know how to start a blog and lack the skills to blog in our modern technology of electronics, because they can not really afford a whole lot in this area!

D.) Many especially in rural areas just don't have access to the internet at all!

E.) Many in this income bracket have such a high stress over finances and are struggling to the point they feel isolated, alone and that they have nothing to share.

I am sure there are other reasons as well that I am not mentioning but what ever the case this truly saddens me. We are at a point where so many Americans are still struggling, that have not bounced back from 2008, that are desperate and that could really benefit from others writing about living and raising a family on low wages.

The more people share, the more others can learn from and find their happiness no matter what their wages are. If nothing else, ease their stress levels and learn to live a little more comfortably! We need more writers and bloggers talking about how we make it and be willing to go to extremes in order to make it work, while we try to improve our lot, yet happiness and joy being our goals.

Now I know a lot with decent incomes read my blog and I am very grateful that I inspire the higher income groups as well. But I just think it would be nice, if there were others out there writing about raising a family with income under the poverty line.

Do you know of any others out there besides mine? Please share the links in the comments below!

11 comments:

  1. On my blog I have never gave any hint on the money I make. It's not what my blog is about. I live Frugal, build things with junk found or scavenged. That's the way I have always done it.
    I don't even know what a low income is. Is it anything lower than one hundred thousand a year, under fifty, under ten?
    There was a time not too long ago I was living on less then five thousand a year with a wife and three kids. One tax return filed had $1800 on it. I wasn't poor, I was broke but never poor. My kids nor I have ever eaten a free meal. We made do. What is the Poverty line?
    I read a lot of blogs and I can't add any to your list on what you are looking for. So according to my blog where do I fit in your figuring?

    Good topic, good read. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MDR I actually did think of yours when asked but like you said you never mention financials so I was not sure. I actually think of yours more like Amy Dycions (spelling ?) Tightwad Gazette only with a much more DYI slant :) Yours has always been one of my favorites to follow and read!

      Delete
  2. One wonderful blog is The Prudent Homemaker, http://theprudenthomemakerblog.blogspot.com/
    Brandy is the stay-at-home and homeschooling mother of 7 children and they went a couple years without any income at all after the real estate bust (husband is real estate broker), and then with low-income. She even includes advice on how to make Christmas presents with $0 budget from remaking things you already have.

    Another is www.ipickuppennies.net These folks were low-income, although no longer are (a couple making around $40,000 year now, living in relatively low COLA area) but still include various low-income-relevant points from (1) their time living low-income and (2) the man's parents who are low-income. However, they sometimes write as if they still think they are low-income, so that part isn't so relevant here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah Thank you Anon! I actually came across her blog ages ago and actually forgot all about it so thank you for reminding me, will have to link to hers! I will check out I pick Up Pennies, I have not heard of that one!

      Delete
    2. IPUP is the daughter of a name in personal finance blogging you may know, Donna Freedman. Donna herself has been through the ringer and may go through it again as the online journalism world gets "consolidated" (ahem) through aggregation rather than content-generation. She blogs, as well, from Surviving and Thriving.

      Delete
  3. I am not low income. I have a husband who is in a dying job (radio-has been laid off many times). I am an RN and we do pretty well. That said I have little retirement $$ because I had to burn it up when I returned to school LPN to RN. I just paid off the house and in another 2 years the little car. If I want extras I can usually work overtime. I know how fortunate I am. I've been through breast cancer too. I am careful with our money as I'm trying to rebuild a retirement account at 54. I have a 14 and 16 yr old at home. I have a little garden/can what is available/cook all meals at home except for maybe 4 -5 times a year we eat out. Rather save my money for travel to visit family and memory building activities. My priorities. Have a bit of an emergency fund to keep the dying 1999 van moving and it pays for sons mental health bills.
    I don't look at income. I didn't grow up with much. I follow The Prudent Homemaker blog. We live fairly simple. Up until a few years ago we were pay day to pay day and had to be super cautious. I save for what I want. In the end it comes down to they type of person you are. The biggest bank account with the most toys doesn't win anything.
    Sheila UP of MI

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you Sheila about not looking at income, that's not what I look for either, I look for frugality, minimalism and other values I am trying to move towards, the income really matters little to me which is why I never thought to look for blogs too much comparable to my actual income.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poorasfolk.wordpress.com is one I found recently. I didn't see it in your blog roll........it seems like the kind of blog you're referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one I've read off and on, I think the author has a pretty low income but has a very can-do attitude toward life (like yourself ;-) )

    http://www.practical-parsimony.blogspot.com/

    Hugs from Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, I know this is an old post, but I just discovered your blog today, and in my binge reading came across this post. There are many more worthy of responses but since I'm in a rush today, I will have to do them another time.
    For now I'd love if you would come visit me over at http://trishastrivestothrive.blogspot.com/. I welcome any comments or critiques, but mostly it's just nice knowing I'm not the only one! I'm hoping that by overcoming the shame, I can share a message of value to others. Thanks for your blog , and thanks if you stop by.

    Trisha

    ReplyDelete